Plastic Bonded Neodymium Magnets
Plastic bonded neodymium magnets are composite materials that contain NdFeB magnetic powder and polymer binder. Im comparison with sintered neodymium magnets, bonded neodymium magnets are more flexible in geometry and magnetization pattern. Magnetic powder and polymer binder are mixed uniformly and then sent into a mold where it is pressed or injection molded to create the magnet product in a shape that is nearly close to the final product. According to manufacturing process, bonded neodymium magnets are divided into two groups: pressed and injection-molded. Bonded ferrite magnet also has a wide range of applications.
Compression Bonded Neodymium Magnets
Compression bonded neodymium magnets exhibit relatively higher energy products. Compression bonded neodymium magnets are made in near-net-shape manufacturing, so almost no mechanical processing is needed. They are only finely ground when necessary. Compression bonded neodymium magnets are suitable for applications that require tight tolerances and high magnetic strength (2.4 – 13.0MGOe).
Injection Molded Neodymium Magnets
Injection molded neodymium magnets can have more complex geometries than compression bonded magnets. They are often injected molded on the outer diameter of a rotor shaft and then magnetized in multipoles. However, the proportion of magnetic powder in injection molded magnets is lower than compression bonded magnets. Therefore, the energy product is also lower. Application of injection molded bonded magnets include encoder magnets and motor magnets.
Advantages of plastic bonded neodymium magnets
- Complex geometry – Plastic bonded magnets are produced in a mold and therefore can achieve complex and delicate shapes which are impossible for sintered magnets. One example is thin walled ring magnet.
- Tight tolerance – Bonded magnets are produced in a mold and the dimension can be controlled more precisely.
- Flexible magnetization – Plastic bonded magnets are isotropic and can be magnetized in various patterns with multiple poles.
Application of plastic bonded neodymium magnets
- automotive (electric motor and sensor)
- home appliance
- power tools
- electronic industries, etc.
About Tengye: Tengye Magnetic supplies finest permanent magnet materials and custom magnetic assemblies to world industry. We work closely with our customer from designing stage to mass production.